Friday, September 23, 2022

Katie: Baptism

Katie, the newest member of God's kingdom and the Catholic Church. 

Our sweet girl was baptized on Sunday the 18th during the 10 AM mass at St. Thomas Church in front of God, our family, and the whole congregation at that mass. 

It was such an interesting thing having her baptized during mass. The twins were baptized right in the thick of Covid lockdowns, so it was just family at a private baptism one afternoon. This time, the whole church got to welcome Katie into the faith, and I have to say, it was something truly special. 

I thought I would be prepared since my nephews Austin and Jack got baptized in August and I would obviously be there for that ceremony, right? Ohhh my children had other ideas. Katie decided to have a blowout literally right before we were walking back for the baptism (at least it wasn't during it?), so I grabbed the diaper bag so I could change her clothes. I also didn't prep the twins saying we were going back to the "big bathtub" and that we would be coming back to our seats soon, so they thought we were leaving and not coming back once they saw me stand up with the diaper bag. That let out a strew of screams because they didn't have their drinks or snack cups and didn't want to leave them in the pew. The whole congregation saw my hot mess of a family with Katie with poop up her back and Brayden and Ashley being carried out screaming by Dan and Theresa. To make matters worse, Eric was Jack's Godfather so he couldn't even help in the situation. It's safe to say I didn't see one bit of them getting baptized. 


So I wasn't really sure what to expect when it was our turn. When we went back for the baptism, I was surprised to see all these little kids coming around on the other side of the baptismal font to take a look at what was happening. It really warmed my heart that they wanted to be up there to see her get baptized. Or maybe they were just nosey, but I'll stick with my first assumption ha!

I was extra thankful for "big" Ashley who was on dress duty because my Ashley wanted to put her hands under my dress and lift it up, and was also interested in giving everyone in church a free show of herself as well. Nichole videoed the baptism and I have to laugh every time I see big Ashley pulling little Ashley's hand out from under my dress or pulling her own dress back down. I've included a photo below for your entertainment.

Speaking of "big" Ashley, she was also Katie's Godmother. Ashley and I have been friends since high school and she is one of my dearest friends. She holds a very special place in my heart for multiple reasons- the love she shows my family, my children, my angels in heaven, heck everyone she knows. I was honored to get to stand up with her son Bennett as he was baptized, and it just felt right to have her standing there for Katie. I know she is someone that Katie can look up to and aspire to be like.

And James is Katie's Godfather. He is such a great uncle to my kids and has the biggest heart around. He takes a huge pride in his family, which just felt right having him stand up with Katie on her big day. I'm looking forward to seeing the bond the two of them have as she grows up.

But back to the baptism....all things considered it went pretty well. Katie wouldn't eat all of her bottle before church or during church before the baptism, so I knew she was hungry. And while she normally loves baths, she apparently doesn't like just getting water poured on her head, because she instantly started crying once Father did that (and proceeded to cry for what seemed like forever). We got her baptismal cloak on and then went and changed her into her baptismal gown, which is the same gown that myself, James, and Brady were all baptized in (which my mom made!). Then Father paraded her down the aisles so the congregation could see her- and she cried the whole time. But from what I heard, everyone had a huge smile on their face as he came by with her, so while I was totally stressing that she was crying her head off, no one else seemed bothered by it. 

Eventually we got her to stop crying and eat her bottle (thank you big Ashley!) and actually take a little nap through the rest of the service. Here's pictures with grandparents and great grandparents.






And with Father Dean.

We headed back to our house for some yummy brisket (thank you Dan and Theresa!) and then cake (thank you mom!) and ice cream. Katie made it through a picture with her cake once we got home, then she slept for like 4 hours. Apparently a baptism wears a girl out. Poor thing missed her whole party haha. Regardless, fun was had by everyone else in attendance, and we couldn't have asked for a better day celebrating our girl being baptized into the faith. May God always guide your way, Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment