Saturday, March 11, 2017

Dad's Letter

Hi everyone. This is Eric, Sharon’s husband. I know her blog has quite the following, so I thought I would use her platform to share a few thoughts. For those of you who know me, you will understand this is very much out of my element.  For one, I am not much of a writer. Secondly, expressing my emotions (especially to the public) is not one of my strong suits. How Sharon writes for this blog every week is beyond me. Sitting here typing this is bringing up so many emotions. Thinking back through the highs and lows of our pregnancy and the last couple days, it amazes me how she can put all of her thoughts on paper like she does. She is so strong (although she would refuse to admit it). I grieve very differently than Sharon does. I internalize everything and prefer to grieve by myself.  But I feel like it is time for me to be as brave as my wife.
So here it goes….a letter to my daughter.

Madison,
                What a journey this has been. I so vividly remember the morning your Mamma told me she was pregnant with you.  What an absolute high that was for both of us. We had been trying so hard to get pregnant again with such little success and then finally…. you came along. Instantly all the love in the world was there. From that moment, you had us hooked. The weeks went by with such joy and happiness. But I will never forget the day we found out our time with you was going to be limited. Holy cow….. you want to talk about a shot to the heart. The next couple of weeks were so hard but your Mom stayed so strong through it all.

I don’t know if you know this, but you have become quite a popular little girl over the past nine months. Your Mom’s blog posts have been so touching. She has let so many people in and has become such an inspiration to so many people.   Madison, there are so many people out there that love you (especially your Mom and I J).  This love has helped us along this journey but I was not prepared for the last couple of days.

                Knowing these last few days were our last days with you has been very hard. I kept trying to figure out how I was going to stay strong for you, for your Mom and for our families. So many emotions where going through my head. I was so excited to meet you and at the same time so sad to know that I was going to have to say goodbye. How was I going to stay strong for your Mom? I knew I was in store for some of the hardest days of my life.

                The night we were scheduled to go into the hospital to see you, I barely slept at all. I just couldn’t imagine how I was going to handle everything. Once we got to the hospital, reality started to sink in. Luckily, exhaustion also kicked in and once the induction process started, we slept like rocks. The day was long but it was made so much easier with both our families there. They love you so much. When the labor pains started for your Mom, I was glad the epidural brought her some relief. I hated seeing her in pain. After hours of off and on naps and visiting, it was time. Standing alongside your Mom through it all was so hard. Seeing her push through the pain for you was so inspiring. I was choking back tears and just wished there was a way I could take all of the pain away. I am the one that is supposed to protect my wife. Knowing that there was nothing I could really do was so difficult. 

                Then it happened, I took my eyes off of your Mother for a second and I saw you. I saw that God had already taken you to see all of your family in heaven. Madison, I wanted to cry so badly, but I knew your Mom was still working hard to meet you. All I could think about those next few moments was trying to figure out how I was going to be able to comfort your Momma once she met you. I will never forget the moment you were finally here. Our doctor placed you on your Mom’s chest and I expected a flood of tears from her….. but nothing like that happened. The biggest smile came over her face and I would be darned if there was anything that could ever wipe it from her face.
 I wish I could tell you everything your Mom was feeling right then but I figure that is for another blog post. I do know one thing. Your Momma has put every bit of love that her heart has in it towards you these past nine months. I know without a doubt that she has no regrets when it comes to her time with you. She has given you all of her love and has been the best mother in the world.
After your Mom and I spent some alone time with you, we wanted our families and friends to meet you too.  As I looked around the room, I saw tears of both sorrow and joy. Every person in the room fell in love with you and were trying to stay strong for us. Ask anybody in the room that night and I bet they all remember the same thing from the night you were born. Through all the tears in the room there was still one unwavering smile--your Mom’s. Madison, your Mom was the strongest person in the room that night. She will try to tell everyone how strong I was and how much she needed everyone there, but what she doesn’t know is how much we needed her. She kept us all together. I have never been so proud of your Mother. She was my rock. It will probably sound corny to say, but I fell even more in love with your Mom that night. I only wish you could have had more time with her--my two girls together.

Madison, I wish I could tell you all of this in person but this small letter will have to do. Your mom and I love you very much and cannot wait to see you in heaven someday.

Love you,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment