Monday, October 19, 2015

Baby Baxter {Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness}


Meet Melani and her family. Melani is married to my cousin Doug. They have three sweet children, and I had no idea that she had had a miscarriage. Read Melani's story below:

"I knew I loved you before I met you."  Those are the lyrics to a Savage Garden song that I never really "got".  How can you love someone without knowing them first.  It seemed to me like you were putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.  I never really thought too much about it until October 2009.  I felt every emotion in the book, and all these emotions I felt for someone I would never know or meet. 
******** 
            I was finally headed to get my gallbladder taken out.  After years of attacks and discomfort, I finally bit the bullet and made the appointment.  Bright and early on a Friday, I did the standard paperwork and urine screen to make sure I wasn't pregnant.  I set my specimen on the counter and went about putting my gown and slippers on.  The nurse grabbed my sample and took it to do the test.  About 10 minutes later my surgeon came in and said we would have to reschedule my surgery for a later time. 
            "Oh, okay why?"  I blankly asked.
            "Well, sweetie, because you're pregnant"  She was trying to gauge my response carefully.
            I instantly went into panic mode.  We had a 5 year old girl and a 15 month boy old at home.  We were done.  WE AGREED WE WERE DONE!  So there my husband and I were, staring at one another, trying to decide the next step.  The nurse called my OBGYN and they said to come straight over for blood work and an ultrasound.  I slowly got dressed while Doug went out to get the car.  The more I thought about it the more excited I got.  Obviously "someone" wanted us to have another baby.  By the time I got in the car and was headed for my new appointment I was happy.  Doug was coming around to it.  He's much more analytical than me. 
            Now I was in a different gown getting an ultrasound.  The tech was very sweet and let us see the "peanut"  right away.  Since I wasn't very far along (about 4 weeks) she couldn't really take too many measurements so she went straight for looking for a fetal pulse.  She looked and looked, but wasn't really getting anything on the monitor.  She instantly left and talked to the doctor.  When she came back in she quietly told us to head to the back waiting room so I could get my blood drawn.  After that I didn't see the doctor or talk to anyone we were just dismissed to go home.  I went to work that Monday and of course everyone wanted to know why I was back so soon from my surgery.  I told them and we all laughed about the situation.  You have to admit, it's a pretty amusing way to find out you're pregnant.
            By the following Wednesday I was miserable.  Bleeding and cramping were the order of the day.  I called the on-call OB doctor that night and she very blankly said "You're miscarrying, didn't anyone talk to you about what was going to happen?"  NO... NO ONE TOLD ME ANYTHING!  I had miscarried many years ago but I didn't even know I was pregnant that time until after it happened, so I had no idea what to expect.   This time was different.  I knew I was pregnant.
            Thursday morning I went into have more bloodwork to make sure that I was indeed miscarrying.  Still no doctor communication.  Thursday afternoon on my way to work the clinic called to tell me my hormone levels were dropping and that I would have some discomfort before I passed the fetus.  The fetus?...This wasn't just a fetus, this was our baby...MY BABY!  My goofball friends had already started picking out names from Vampire Diaries.  What was I going to tell them?  The bleeding just kept getting worse. 
            I didn't sleep at all that night.  Between the cramping and bleeding and all the emotions I was a wreck.  Friday morning I called my friend that worked at the clinic and told her what was going on.  I was still bleeding and could barely stand because the cramps were so bad.  She talked to the Physician Assistant and then told me to get my butt in there now!  Doug had to come get me and we headed to the clinic.  More bloodwork to check my hemoglobin and a quick exam and I was promptly sent back to where it all started, the surgery center.  I had the same nurse as when this whole thing started.  She just looked at me and I burst into tears.  She helped me change and they gave me medicine to calm my nerves, pain and stomach...I definately needed at least one of them.  They got my IV started and we walked back to the OR.  I had to state my name, birthdate and why I was there.  I couldn't get it out, I couldn't say it. Melani Baxter, 10-02-1979 and I'm having a D&C.  Why couldn't I say it?  Tears were streaming down my face.  The anesthesiologist (who I knew from when I worked at a local coffee shop) said "I know who she is, we are okay to start."  Thank you God, because if I said it out loud that meant it was really happening.  I went under thinking the worst thoughts possible.  What did I do wrong?  Is this my fault?  Why is this happening to me, to us?  And then I woke up, and it was all over.  It was official, unnamed Baby Baxter was gone.  I was dismissed to go home home and recover.  I spent all weekend in bed not talking to anyone.  I needed to process all of it. 
            Friends sent flowers and text messages, gave hugs and condolences.  I went back to work (probably way too soon) and tried to move on.  I didn't really talk about what happened for almost a year.  Then it all came out in one giant flood of emotions when a friend's daughter was having trouble with her pregnancy.  I needed that. I needed the flood gates to open and all those emotions to come to the surface again.  The fear of finding out I was pregnant.  The excitment of when it all finally sank in.  The disblief of finding out I would never meet our baby.  The guilt of thinking I had done something wrong.  The anger, pain, betrayal, empitness etc...


            We all know that after a good storm we see a rainbow.  A sign of a new start, of good things to come and a true gift from God.  In March 2013 we got our "rainbow" baby.  Layla was born and the hole in my heart left from my miscarriage began to fill.  I will always hold a special place in my heart for the children that I lost (the one so many years ago and the one only 6 years ago), but I know now that I did nothing wrong.  For whatever reason those trials were meant to carve me into the parent I am today.  And I now understand those song lyrics so much more than I thought I ever would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment