Monday, November 27, 2023

Giving Thanks

As November comes to an end, I love to reflect on all I have to be thankful for. It can be so easy to get caught up in the pile of dishes by the sink, in the sea of toys on the floor in the basement, or on the tantrum one of the kids just started throwing that I often forget just how thankful I actually am to be going through each and every one of those "problems" I have on the daily. 

I'm thankful for the pile of dishes by the sink, because it means my family is getting fed. Eric and I work our butts off to put food on the table for our family. And those dishes means that its working. We have food. Is it always a 5 course meal? Absolutely not. Some nights it's more of a frozen pizza vibe, you gotta have a little give and take. We have family time at the table. We have "please" and "thank you" and "oh that's so yummy". A few "I don't like that", "get that off my plate", and "can I just have chips?" in there too. But we are fed.

I'm thankful for the sea of toys on the floor in the basement. For one, that means that they aren't upstairs in our living room ha! But it also means that we have a house with a basement, one we helped design and build (and will be paying for for forever, but I digress). We have laughter and giggles and dress up and destruction. Our house is filled with fun.

I'm thankful for the tantrums. For the tearful "mommy up" and the whiny "Wait for me, I want to hold your hand!". We prayed for years and years (7 years to be exact) to finally hear all those whines and screams and tears that can overwhelm us on the regular. But when I really think about it, hearing those sounds is so much better than hearing the silence that we were so used to. 

This Thanksgiving, I was reminded of how thankful I am for us. We may be a hot mess 97% of the time, but it's my hot mess, and I can't ask for more than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment