Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Meet Bailey!

On Sunday, Eric and I made a huge commitment to add someone to our lives, a puppy! I have always wanted a puppy. Some of my earliest memories involve myself and my family's dog, Junior. He was an old Beagle dog and my brother and I loved him so much. After he passed away, my family never got another dog. We have had many cats, including my parent's indoor cat, Kitty, but never another dog. When Eric and I made the huge decision to move home this summer, he promised me that we would be able to get a puppy. 

Well I was browsing the online garage sale sites on Facebook (everybody does that, right?), and came across a litter of Beagle puppies that were free to a good home. I instantly put my name on the list of people interested in one, then proceeded to ask Eric if it was OK if we got a puppy. Act first, ask later, right? Eric said we could take one as long as my parents said it was alright, since we are living with them now until we are able to buy our house. My mom agreed, or so I thought, as long as dad said yes. And of course my dad said yes! Who can resist the begging of his only daughter? (Don't worry, my mom loves the puppy now that we have her.)

So Eric and I hopped in the car and headed to Montrose to get our very own puppy. There were lots to choose from, and I picked up a couple before choosing our Bailey. I knew she was ours when I picked her up and she instantly snuggled into my neck and didn't want to be put down. It was love at first sight!



After a quick trip to Walmart to get all of the puppy necessities, we made our way back home with a new puppy in tow. 


A little mommy/daddy/puppy bonding time ensued for the next hour or so, along with getting her dog house and food bowl ready. Then it was goodnight to puppy and we were off to bed. Those little lonely puppy whimpers haunted my dreams all night. It was so hard to leave her outside and walk away. 


Luckily, she made it through the night just fine, and when Eric went out to check on her Monday morning, she came right out to him. It was reassuring that she wasn't scarred for life after we left her alone the night before! 


Monday consisted of lots of mommy/puppy bonding time, which mostly involved Bailey sleeping on my lap while I read a book. I have a feeling she didn't get much sleep last night in her new home.  


We did have our first walk, or more like me walking and Bailey following closely behind my feet as to not get left behind, and our first play session with her tug rope. She hasn't quite got the "tugging" part down yet, but we are working on it. 


We are so excited to have Bailey as part of our little family. I hope that one day my children will have found memories of their own Beagle dog, just as I do.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment