Thursday, November 6, 2014

First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage, Then Comes...

BABY!


That's right everyone, I'm pregnant!! 

Eric would prefer I say that we are pregnant, but I'm the one carrying this baby, so I think I'll stick with I'm. That's not to cut out the fact that he had a huge part in the pregnancy, because he obviously did. He isn't the one who's had to deal with nausea, a sore body, being extremely tired, increased breathing issues, and having trouble sleeping, though.

In all honesty, I've had a pretty easy pregnancy so far (knock on wood!). I've had no vomiting, and my nausea usually goes away as soon as I can snack on something-goldfish have been my best friend the past 12 weeks! My asthma has gotten slightly worse, but I think I'm finally getting it under control again. As far as troubles sleeping, I know that will only get worse as I get closer to my due date, so I guess I should be thankful for the sleep I am getting now. 

Back to the subject of Eric- I will say that every day I fall more and more in love with that man. He has been my rock, my shoulder to cry on when mood swings get the best of me, the one who will fill up my water bottle when it's empty, rub my back when I'm having a coughing fit, and generally do whatever I ask him to do. Do I deserve it? No. But I am extremely thankful for it, and I let him know that all the time. I can already tell he will be the best dad to our little bundle of joy. He talks to baby every night, usually telling her/him to give me a break and let me breath or stop making me nauseous ha! Regardless, it's one of the sweetest and heartwarming things I have ever seen. I can't wait to see how he interacts with the baby once it's out here with us! I'll find out in about 6 months I guess :)

How did I find out? When I missed my period in August, I thought for sure it meant I was pregnant. I took a test the week after my period was due, but it was negative. Those darn irregular periods from my teenage years were back. The next couple weeks, I took a few more tests, all negative. So when I missed my period again in September, I just thought that my cycles were doomed to be irregular. 

I planned on calling my OBGYN to see what they could do about them since Eric and I were ready to start a family. I decided I should take one more pregnancy test, just in case, since I was sure they would ask if I was pregnant. What the heck, I thought. As I sat waiting for the test to come back negative, I looked up the phone number to call. Much to my surprise, when I picked up the test I saw two pink lines staring back up at me. I almost didn't believe it! In fact, I took a couple more tests just to be sure. After it finally sunk into me that I was pregnant, I had to plan on how to tell Eric. 

I ran to the store to grab some onesies and glitter glue. I thought it turned out really cute! Only problem was, I worked until 6:30 that night, then we ate with my family. Eric finally said he was going to take a shower. Perfect- I'll have this sitting on the bed when he comes back to the bedroom! I got things ready, turned the light off, and very impatiently waited for him to come back to the room. When he came in, he didn't notice it right away. Then I see him staring at the foot of the bed where the onsie was placed. He finally says, "Noooo..." with a huge smile on his face. I could barely contain my excitement when I told him it was true! I don't think we stopped smiling, hugging, and kissing each other all night.


Now the next question was how and when to tell our parents. We decided to wait until after my first appointment so we would have an ultrasound picture and a more definite due date to tell them. The appointment went great! We got to see our little bean, and we even heard his or her tiny beating heart at 133 beats per minute. If that doesn't take your breath away I don't know what will. I decided to make little picture frames that read, "Hi, Grandma and Grandpa! Can't wait to meet you May 20, 2015. Love, Baby Schackmann."


I wrapped them up all nice and cute. Now how would I explain giving presents to our parents for no reason? That was actually easier than I thought! Since both of our parents have so graciously opened up their homes for us to move back in until our house is ready, I would tell them that this present was a thank you for all they have done. First up was Dan and Theresa, then my mom and dad since dad got home late from work due to the storms. 


Of course, both sets of parents said that we didn't need to thank them, a present wasn't necessary, etc. But when Theresa and my mom opened the box and saw what was inside, they stopped talking and gave us one of those big-eyed, puppy dog faces that made them look like they were going to cry with happiness. Our dads were both thinking, what could be in that box? Once they saw what it was too, everyone was overjoyed with excitement. Lots of hugs, congratulations, and even more hugs ensued. I think that both of our parents are a wee bit excited to be grandparents!



We've told our immediate families, grandparents, and a few close friends. Now that I've had my 12 week appointment, we decided to tell the rest of the world. Look out, this Schackmann family has a lot left in store for you.


Eric and I could not be any more excited to start this crazy journey called parenthood. Luckily, we have some great role models to look to when we don't know which way to go. This baby is so loved already.

(First and last pictures taken by the wonderful Kendra Crane of Kendra Crane Photography. One talented best friend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment